Sean has a keen attention to the details of lawmaking that make a zoning code clear, consistent, usable and defensible. As a planner and a lawyer, he brings a unique combination of disciplines, skills and perspectives to planning and coding efforts across America.
From 2010 to 2014, he served as the Chief Counsel of Land Use and Planning for the City of Cincinnati where he represented the municipal corporation and its officials in all planning, land use, zoning, historic preservation and building matters.
Sean was the lead counsel for the Cincinnati Form-Based Code, an award-winning code that was a first for a large legacy city like Cincinnati. He also served as the lead counsel for the Cincinnati Land Development Code, a new take on the City’s remaining Euclidean zoning, and for the City’s award-winning Historic Preservation ordinance.
Sean is a leader in the Urban Land Institute, where he serves as a liaison between district councils in Cincinnati, Columbus, Cleveland, Indiana, Pittsburgh and Louisville.
Sean is a frequent speaker and panelist on the topics of land use law, historic preservation law, and zoning, including as a presenter at the 2017 APA National Conference in New York City and APA state conferences in Ohio, Indiana, Pennsylvania and Tennessee.
In 2017, he served as Ohio faculty for the Form-Based Code Institute (201 level). He has served as an adjunct professor of land use law at the University of Cincinnati College of Law and has been a guest lecturer at the University of Cincinnati College of Design, Art, Architecture and Planning. His articles have been published in the Cincinnati Enquirer, Midwest Real Estate News, Cities & Villages Magazine, Ohio Planners News, and others.
In addition to his work with Calfee Zoning, Sean is a Partner in its affiliate law firm Calfee, Halter & Griswold LLP. Sean is licensed to practice law in Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee (inactive), and the District of Columbia. Sean has been ranked by Chambers USA in 2019 for Real Estate: Zoning/Land Use in Ohio. He has been selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© 2019 in the area of Real Estate Law, he has been named to the 2018 Ohio Rising Stars List for Land Use/Zoning law by Super Lawyers, and Sean was named a "Cincy Leading Lawyer" by Cincy magazine (2018- 2020).
Honors & Recognitions
Chambers USA, Real Estate: Zoning/Land Use, 2019
Best Lawyers in America©, Real Estate Law, Land Use and Zoning Law, 2019-2020
Ohio Super Lawyers, Ohio Rising Stars, 2007, 2009, 2016-2018
Cincy Magazine, "Cincy Leading Lawyers," Real Estate, Zoning, 2018-2020
J.D., University of Virginia School of Law, 2004
Bachelor of Urban and Environmental Planning, with honors, University of Virginia School of Architecture, 2000
Since 2015, Sean has led, managed, or worked on zoning code projects for approximately 15 communities across nine states, including Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, Vermont, Connecticut, Georgia, Maryland and Pennsylvania.
Professional & Community
Professional & Community
Urban Land Institute (ULI) Cincinnati District Council, Past Member; Past Chair, Regional Initiatives
American Planning Association (APA), Private Practice and Law Divisions (Amicus Curiae Committee)
The Society of St. Vincent DePaul, Facilities Committee
Presentations & Publications
Presentations & Publications
Sean speaks frequently on topics of zoning, including at local, regional, and national conferences and has been published and quoted on matters of commercial real estate as well as land use and zoning.
- National Association of Home Builders, 2019 LANDS Committee Conference, New Orleans, Louisiana
- American Planning Association (APA) 2019 Ohio Planning Conference, Cleveland, Ohio
- America Walks National Summit 2019, Columbus, Ohio
- American Institute of Architects (AIA) 2019 DesignDC Conference, Washington, D.C.
- American Planning Association (APA) 2019 Central Ohio Planning Conference, Columbus, Ohio
- American Planning Association (APA) 2018 Ohio/Kentucky/Indiana Conference, Cincinnati, Ohio
- American Planning Association (APA) 2018 Cleveland Zoning Conference, Cleveland, Ohio
- American Planning Association (APA) 2018 Northeast Ohio Zoning Workshop, Conneaut, Ohio
- American Planning Association (APA) 2018 Central Ohio Zoning Workshop, Columbus, Ohio
- American Planning Association (APA) 2017 National Conference, New York City, New York
- American Planning Association (APA) 2017 Ohio Conference, Athens, Ohio
- American Planning Association (APA) 2017 Indiana Conference, Lafayette, Indiana
- American Planning Association (APA) 2017 Tennessee Conference, Memphis, Tennessee
- American Planning Association (APA) 2017 Cincinnati Zoning Workshop, Cincinnati, Ohio
- American Planning Association (APA) 2017 Cleveland Zoning Workshop, Cleveland, Ohio
- Michigan Historic Preservation Network (MHPN) 2017 Annual Conference, Petoskey, Michigan
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association Municipal Law Day 2017, Cleveland, Ohio
- Heritage Ohio 2016 Conference, Cincinnati, Ohio
- Legacy Cities 2016 Conference, Detroit, Michigan
- Form-Based Code Institute 201 Faculty, 2016, Columbus, Ohio
- American Planning Association (APA) 2015 Pennsylvania Conference, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Urban Land Institute (ULI) Cleveland Zoning Workshop, 2015, Cleveland, Ohio
- Legacy Cities 2014 Conference, Cleveland, Ohio
News & Events
- This Week Community News, 03.25.2020
- Bowling Green Sentinel-Tribune, 03.02.2020
- Calfee Zoning Sponsors the Washington, D.C.-based FBCI’s Study on Economic Benefits of Form-Based Zoning Codes02.18.2020
- Sentinel-Tribune, Bowling Green, Ohio, 02.11.2020
- BG Independent News, 02.11.2020
- WCPO Cincinnati, 02.16.2018
- Calfee Zoning’s Sean Suder Presents at American Planning Association’s OKI Regional Planning Conference09.24.2018
- Sean Suder Shares LinkedIn Article Highlighting Why He Believes Columbus Could Be Home to Amazon’s HQ201.23.2018