Prior to joining Calfee Zoning, Donnie served as City of Covington, Kentucky Development Director and Assistant City Solicitor, where he worked on and led efforts related to zoning, historic preservation and economic development.
Donnie is a 2005 Teach For America Corps Member (Gallup, NM). He is an accomplished distance runner having completed nine marathons and placing second in the 2014 Cincinnati Flying Pig Marathon.
Donnie was named a “Cincy Leading Lawyer” by Cincy magazine (2018-2020). As lead counsel for the City of Covington, Kentucky for the first PACE/EPAD transaction in the history of Kentucky, Donnie was part of a team that received the Governor’s Award for Excellence in Energy (2016). Donnie has presented to the Kentucky League of Cities, the local government section of the Northern Kentucky Bar Association, and the Cincinnati and Miami Valley Chapters of the American Planning Association.
Honors & Recognitions
Cincy Magazine, "Cincy Leading Lawyers," Governmental, Real Estate, 2018-2020
J.D., University of Cincinnati College of Law, cum laude, 2014
M.A., University of Cincinnati, English, 2009
B.A., DePaul University, English, 2005
In addition to his work with Calfee Zoning, Donnie is an Associate Attorney with the firm's affiliated law firm, Calfee, Halter & Griswold LLP, licensed to practice law in Kentucky and Ohio. He has had significant experience assisting clients resolve complex zoning and land use issues.
- General counsel to the Zoning and Planning Specialist and the Historic Preservation Specialist with regards to all land use and planning issues, including interpretation of the Covington Zoning Code, KRS 100, and the Covington Historic Design Guidelines.
- General counsel to the Urban Design Review Board and the Board of Adjustment, providing legal advice to the board throughout the administrative process to ensure due process and sound interpretation of the Covington Zoning Code and KRS 100.
- Lead counsel for the Urban Design Review Board to uphold the Board’s decision to deny the demolition of the historic Bavarian Brewery based upon the City’s zoning code.
- Delivered prevailing oral argument in Urban Design Review Board appeal involving a proposed structure that the Board determined to be non-compliant with Covington’s historical design guidelines.
News & Events
- This Week Community News, 03.25.2020
- CZ Zonecast Presents: Zoning and Land Use Predictions for 2021 and Beyond – Responding to Social and Economic Change09.15.2020